Towamba Station has a long and proud history within the Far South Coast region of New South Wales. It was one of a small number of significant properties established in the Towamba River valley in the early days of settlement by pioneers like the Imlay brothers and Ben Boyd. The village of Towamba was settled in the mid 1840's after Ben Boyd sent a surveyor to mark out a route from Boydtown on the coast, to his properties on the Monaro.
Old Towamba Homestead and bullock wagon
Since its early history, Towamba Station has been a sheep station, dairy farm and beef cattle property. Today, after a number of subdivisions, the remaining property of about 150 acres hosts a small Angus beef cattle herd, an Angora goat stud and an olive grove and processing plant.
The current owners, Norbert and Elizabeth Hrouda established the olive grove in 1998 with plantings over the following 3 years of a number of popular oil and table olive varieties. The main varieties planted are Manzanillo, Frantoio, Paragon, Correggiola, and Kalamata. There are also a number of other varieties including Mission, Barnea, Nevadillo Blanco Hardy’s Mammoth and Picuol. Currently, the grove consists of about 2,000 trees and covers about 8 hectares of undulating land just above the Towamba River at an altitude of about 100 metres.